Sacrament of Marriage

Congratulations on your decision to get married. It’s an exciting time with lots of wedding planning wedding bands

Marriage: The state requires three months notice. This can be done by contacting the Clare Births, Marriages and Deaths Office, Sandfield Centre, Ennis. Tel: 065 6868050.
A Marriage Preparation Course is required by the church and The recognised options by the Diocese of Killaloe are:
Accord – tel. 1850 58 5000. Email:          hands on bouquet

Esker Retreat Centre, Athenry, Co. Galway. Tel; 091 844549         

Mount Argus, Harolds Cross, Dublin 6W.  Tel: 01 2964257.  
See: The Mount Argus ‘Together’ PMC

Pre Nuptial Enquiry Papers can be filled out with the priest at your convenience. For this you will require a
Baptismal Cert. (obtained within the last six months)
Confirmation Cert.
Cert of Pre Marriage Course and Letters of Freedom
These Pre-Nuptial forms are filled by the priest in the parish where you are resident.

roses and rings

Civil Registration

The couple will have to present themselves at the Registrar’s Office, Sandfield Centre, Ennis, at least 3 months before the wedding. (This office is located beside Ennis Swimming Pool). Tel: 065 6868050

They must give details of the wedding and make a declaration of no impediments.

If one or both parties reside outside the state, an application form must be obtained from the Registrars Office completed and returned to that office. The couple must present themselves before the Register at least 5 days before the wedding. They will be given the registration form which they must present to the marriage Solemniser, otherwise the marriage cannot be registered.

The couple must make a verbal declaration of no impediment before the Priest involved in the marriage and the two witnesses either at the rehearsal or on the wedding day, but not earlier than two days before the wedding.

After the wedding, the couple are responsible for returning the signed marriage registration form to the Office of the Register. This has to be done within one month of the wedding.

The Priest officiating at the wedding is called the Solemniser and must be on a registers list. In the case where the Priest who is officiating is from outside the state, or not on the list, he must be registered to solemnise the marriage. This can be done by requesting the local bishop to temporarily register him.

Log onto foe all information.


An Irish Divorce

          If you have an Irish Divorce, you will be required to produce your Divorce Degree
(Degree Absolute) for the Register. Only a divorce allows remarriage – you may not
remarry if you have a Judicial Decree of Separation or Legal Deed of Separation

Wedding rings

A Foreign Divorce

                  If you have a foreign divorce, you will have to supply a copy of the Divorce Decree Nisi and Absolute. If the Divorce Degree is in a foreign language, you must provide an English translation certified by a relevant official body or recognised translation agency. Not all foreign divorces are recognised under Irish Law.
A foreign divorce will only be recognised in Ireland if at least one spouse was
  ‘domiciled’ in the state that granted the divorce when the proceedings started. You may have to provide good evidence that this was the case and, therefore, that the divorce is valid under Irish Law.




The Singing Priest

A Meath priest has become an overnight YouTube sensation after a video of him singing Leonard
Cohen’s Hallelujah went viral.Fr Ray Kelly’s surprise performance at the wedding of a couple in
his parish of Old Castle had in excess of 20 million hits on you tube as of April more here.......